Window Replacement – Maintenance
At American Openings, we manufacture only the highest quality windows for window replacements in the Tucson area. Our window replacements offer superior energy efficiency with longevity to match; however, they do require some maintenance – though probably not as much as you think.
In an earlier blog post, we mentioned that since our window replacements are built to last, that means they come with the perk of low maintenance, but that it still includes glass cleaning.
This is important not to overlook. It’s vital that you clean your windows at least twice a year if you want to maintain the integrity of the low-e glass.
Why would not cleaning your windows compromise their energy efficiency?
Good question – the answer is because not even the highest quality, most energy efficient windows are completely immune to our environment. This is mostly because window glass isn’t necessarily smooth; in fact, it’s porous. That means there are many microscopic nooks and crannies for dust, debris, rust, calcium and other nasty elements to fill in.
If you let various environmental deposits cling to your window too long and they’re getting wet periodically you might experience water spotting and your windows may begin to look weathered. Overtime, between the debris and the rain – or other moisture, your windows can become damaged from these various elements etching away at your glass.
Energy efficiency values provided to you when purchasing our Tucson window replacements are based on the assumption that the windows are clean and in good condition.
The same resistance to the brutal Arizona heat cannot be guaranteed if your glass is compromised by environmental factors. Therefore, you should be polishing your windows well at least twice or three times a year to ensure your windows are maintaining the outside temperatures properly and with maximum efficiency.
Follow this simple rule and not only will your windows keep their curb appeal, but they’ll also keep the same level of energy efficiency throughout their lifespan.
Some Window Cleaning Tips:
– Clean windows on an overcast day. Direct sunlight, especially in Tucson and Phoenix, will dry up the cleaning solution too fast and prevent the glass from being polished properly.
– To eliminate any streaks, polish one side of the glass with a side-to-side technique and the other with a vertical motion. This will allow you to identify which side of the glass has any streaks. Remember to clean from the top down to avoid dripping.
– Use cotton swabs or an old t-shirt (a clean one) to get the corners. You can also use that t-shirt to rub out any streaks and give your glass a little extra shine.
– If your glass ends up with any small scratches, you can use the old scratched CD fix: toothpaste.
– Polish the scratches with toothpaste to fill them in and it will prevent the entry of any dust or debris that could otherwise collect there and damage your window.
– This will also hide the scratches quite well. Don’t use toothpastes with extra cleaning additives, mint flakes, etc. – get the basic kind.
Hopefully after reading this you’ve realized the importance of cleaning your windows periodically. If you have any other questions about this topic or simply want to inquire about new window replacements for your home, then please feel free to contact us.